Tips for Coping with Grief During the Holidays
The holiday season can be a very challenging time after the death of someone you love. It is often a time when feelings of grief and loss are intensified.
Below are three tips that can be helpful as you cope with grief during the holiday season and other special occasions:
- Plan ahead. It’s good to decide with your family what you can or can’t do this year. Planning ahead will help lessen anxiety (especially for kids!).
- Be kind to yourself. Things will look different, and it’s important to accept your limitations.
- Find ways to remember and honor your loved one….
- Light a candle.
- Buy a gift that your loved one would have enjoyed and donate to a charity.
- Set a place for them at the table or leave an empty chair.
- Make some of their favorite foods.
- Create space to share memories. You can set aside to share aloud at dinner or create a station to write down favorite memories.
For more tips on coping with grief during this season, join one of our upcoming Getting Through the Holidays workshops. For more information or to register, contact a member of our Grief Services team at (800) 958-5014 or email@example.com. And for a complete list of upcoming events, visit www.chot.org/calendar-of-events.